Monday, February 17, 2014

Coffee table



I finally finished my coffee table. I had originally planned to spray it gold.. but decided to go with a dark wax instead.. We had had this super chunky upholstered ottoman that had been great with the kids growing up but it was definitely time to change it up.




This is built out of 2x2 boards and has a plexiglass top.


to make the top so that the glass could sit flush I took my router and routed out an edge about 1/4 of an inch wide and then the thickness of the plexiglass..  when measuring to cut your wood measure from the routed edge not the edge of the board.. 

I dry fitted the plexi to make sure I had everything cut correctly. I then glued and nailed the four boards together. Let it dry over night. I went back later and added the little cross supports. 


Next attach your legs. I made two krej jig holes on top and bottom of the leg to attach to the top and base.. You can fill these holes after your done so that they don't show. 


For the side beam I marked my center. The angle on this i'm guessing was around 60 something.. Don't ask me to do the math.. and it was greater than what my miter saw would cut.. so I basically turned the piece on its side laid the board across it matching the edges with the corner and the center line I marked. I then drew a line where it intersected. and used that for my guide.. Do your best caulk the rest :) 

Im very happy with how it turned out.. and its very sturdy.. my almost two year old has been taken off the top of it several time already... 

The plexiglass was the most expensive part. I want to say it was close to 50.00 dollars. The whole thing cost less than 70$. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask.. thanks for reading! 



LINK up
The DIY'ers />
DIY Show Off
Read more at http://diyshowoff.com/buttons/#xmqeFGRpuTh2flZB.99

2 comments:

  1. This is such a simple and pretty coffee table - well done!
    Brandi @ Nest of Bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brandi! I love your blog! its so refreshing to look at and read.

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS