Thursday, August 8, 2013

Our new DIY dinning Table

I'm so excited last night we finished our dinning room table! That's right Adam and  I built this! We got the plans Here. Ana white has some amazing plans that are easy to follow. I originally saw this on Jen's blog found Here. I love her blog also! 



After building the table I decided I wanted to use a natural stain technique that "ages" the wood. It was so simple. Here's how I did it..

 
Testing the steel wool the pine didn't even turn on the side with out the tea 

I used a tea, vinegar and steel wool stain.
Fist I made up my steel wool and vinegar concoction... I used a huge mason jar prob about 50 oz.. I 1.5 pads of 0000 steel wool and washed it in soapy water to remove any oils that would keep the oxidation from happening... I broke the steel wool apart in to small pieces and put in the jar then filled the jar with the white vinegar... I let it sit  about 25 hrs... Many blogs I had read said to let it sit like 3 days so I wasn't sure it would have had time to oxidizes that quickly but when I tested it it was already plenty strong. I removed the hunk of steel wool to make sure it didn't oxides anymore and make it an uneven job as I got near the bottom I also stirred it regularly during the process. 
Pine has very low levels of tannins. Which is what the vinegar and steel wool react to.. So to up the tannins. I first painted a tea stain all over... I simply brewed strong black tea I think I used 4 large bags in about 20 oz of water. I let the table dry for about 3 hrs then put on the vinegar mixture... 
Once the table had dried I decided I wanted to warm it up just a tad. It came out very blue grey which would have looked awesome in a modern home...
So I mixed briwax clear, Annie Sloan clear, and a tiny but of briwax Tudor brown... The mixture was just a very light tan. I applied a single coat over the whole table, let dry, then applied a second on top... Buffed it out and was so happy with my new table!!! It took a lot of wax the wood really soaked it up. 


table before sanding
starting to oxidize 
pre wax











It looks so amazing in person. I wish i could have taken better pictures of it.. Im so thrilled with how it came out!

4 comments:

  1. Really great blog and one of the best blogs I have visited. I will definately be a follower and appreciate your talents and for sharing them! Luxury Beds and Mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment, Im trying to get better about putting more stuff on. but with two littles it makes it a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! So many great ideas, It is really inspiring. great job.online bed sale UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camille! This looks amazing! You guys did an outstanding job. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS