Saturday, September 7, 2013

Diy Tripod Floor Lamp... Get the Look for Less



I love the look of the tripod floor lamps. I however do not like the price. $200 on up to $1000. No thank you. Today I was out at a local antique store and found this little guy....



He was $78 but the owner of the store told me she could do $60. So I decided that sounded do able. You can probably find them for cheaper on ebay but I liked this one so I got it. 

The one problem I ran into with this one was that it had a little metal thing in the middle that needed to be taken out. I used my Dremel to remove it. 

Here is what you need for the lamp part I got it all at home depot. You simply follow the instructions on the back... 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-3-Way-Socket-Make-A-Lamp-Kit-7026800/100351517#.UivwUeAyT88

Westinghouse 3-Way Socket Make-A-Lamp Kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-Assorted-1-8-IP-Zinc-Plated-Nipples-8-Pack-7015000/100351463#.UivwgOAyT88



Westinghouse Assorted 1/8-IP Zinc-Plated Nipples (8-Pack)


http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-Brass-Plated-Nuts-and-Washers-6-Pack-7062800/100351492?keyword=westinghouse+nuts+and+washers#.UivwrOAyT88

Westinghouse Brass Plated Nuts and Washers (6-Pack)





I used the nipples, nuts and washers in the hole in the tripod to act as my base and give it a firm hold. Then you simply put together and wire the lamp kit. Don't be scared its very easy! I had never wired anything before. The directions lay it all out for you..took me maybe 10 mins to get it all set up. I still need to find a shade. I stole this one from another lamp in the house for the picture.








 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS